This past month, the Supreme Court determined that the word "Israel" cannot be listed next to the word "Jerusalem" on an American-Israeli passport. Secondly, the Supreme Court rejected an appeal from North Carolina to revive a requirement that abortion providers must show an ultrasound to a pregnant woman before she has an abortion. Last but not least, the Supreme Court declared that the biblical institution of marriage was not between just a man and a woman.
This means that in only one month's time, the Supreme Court came against Jerusalem (strike one), failed to defend the unborn (strike two) and to top it all off, came against holy matrimony (strike three and you're OUT)!
The apostle Paul writes “Now these things took place as examples for us, that we might not desire evil as they did.” [1 Corinthians 10:6].
The prophet Jeremiah spells out in verse 5:9 and in verse 29, "Shall I not punish them for these things? declares the LORD; and shall I not avenge myself on a nation such as this?"
These are the characteristics of a nation rebuked harshly by the Lord.
- Men say, “As the Lord lives,” yet they swear falsely (Jeremiah 5:2)
- Refused to repent (Jeremiah 5:3)
- Mighty men did not execute God's justice (Jeremiah 5:5)
- Children have forsaken God (Jeremiah 5:7)
- Despite being fed to the full, they committed adultery as each lusted for their neighbor's wife (Jeremiah 5:8)
- They have grown fat and sleek (Jeremiah 5:27)
- They know no bounds in deeds of evil (Jeremiah 5:28)
- They judge not with justice and do not defend the innocent (Jeremiah 5:28)
Then, with much conviction, Jeremiah asks, "Shall I not punish them for these things? declares the LORD, and shall I not avenge myself on a nation such as this?" An appalling and horrible thing has happened in the land: the prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests rule at their direction; my people love to have it so, but what will you do when the end comes? (Jer 5:29-31)
All that said, in the midst of this passage is a blessing. "For these things happened to the nation of Israel to PRUNE it so it could once again PRODUCE FRUIT!
"Go up through her vine rows and destroy, but make not a full end; strip away her branches, for they are not the LORD's." (Jeremiah 5:10)
Whatever judgment may come, I hope that it will be done in such a way, that America may once again be fruitful.
Our God is merciful.